September PTO minutes

The minutes will be reviewed and approved at the October 14th meeting. Please note that the budget present at the meeting in September will not be voted on at this meeting. The budget as presented and proposed at the PTO meeting on 9/16/16 has been revised to reflect the expenditure of Walk and Run-a-thon funds.  The revisions consist of the addition of $4,000 in Special Projects expense as well as other smaller adjustments to existing expenses.  This revised budget will be discussed at the 10/14/16 meeting and voted on at the 11/11/16 meeting.

Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date: September 16, 2016

Location: Pit

Alison Polidano acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting.

The meeting was called to order at 8:30 am

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Al Waters Janet Nichols Megan Masson-Minock Jeannie Crayne
Alison Polidano Jane Pacheco Sharon Maccini Melissa Pozenel
Ann Kovacs Sherry Mackay Troy Mickey Mary Mickey
Mary Edlund Julie de Jong Rob Barhite  

 

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Mary Edlund to approve and seconded by Megan Masson-Minock. Motion passed.

Director’s reports- Al Waters

  • 2 new staff: Ashley Hagadon: Music teacher.  Ashley will assist in Media center Thurs and Fri mornings to check in items from the students. Jeannie Crayne is the new 2/3 teacher. She had been a long time instructional aide at all grade levels and new PTO liaison.
  • The county deaf and hard of hearing program now housed in the old hall conference room. 3 students: 2- 2nd graders, 1-7th The students will attend HC classes part of their day with their teachers. This program does bring in some foundation money to Honey Creek.
  • HC audit complete, results pending. Positive feedback that HC is in a better position than expected.
  • Busy fall for the school: Before thanksgiving Al has to provide benchmark assessments for 1st /2nd grade ELA and math. Assessments will be performed in the fall and spring for comparison and growth. Advance ED accreditation continues. A site visit is planned Nov 10-11 with reviewers. Accreditation is performed every 5 years. English language learner population at Honey Creek is growing and our policy needs to be revised. Software has been purchased for the teacher assessments. Teachers will be trained. School improvement plan and federal grant applications are due before the end of September. New teachers are required to have a minimum of 3 days to attend professional development.
  • Al asked the PTO if the theme committees can help with certain needs. Literacy committee: diagnostics training requested by staff. Wellness: staff professional development on anxiety and depression mental health. Arts committee: Assist Christine with conference fee. The PTO supports these requests asked Al to have the requests send to the theme committee heads with details.
  • SUGGESTION for next fall: Can the grade level potlucks be offsite to decrease need for administration to be present to lock the building at the end of events. Jeannie will let us know how the staff felt the potlucks went at our next meeting.
  • All classroom sinks will be replaced over spring break.
  • M Step results are available. HC is listed at one of the top 4 schools in the county, strong performance.  Parents can pick up the result in the office over the next 2 weeks then they will be sent home with students. Plan is to give test online again this year. It may not be given next year; the state is changing the test again. Discussion about the difficulty with continued changes with the state level.

School Board Report- Megan Masson-Minock

  • Board met in August. Superintendent assessment tool selected. Retreat this weekend to revise strategic plan. Budget is looking better. School board will continue to look at possibility if increasing class size. Goal to brand our school, having marketing materials that the foundation can take to other funding sources or to give out as advertising for school. Next meeting Sept 28th 530 pm in the PIT.

HC Foundation Report- Sara Brintnall email

  • Foundation met September 12th and voted to give $50,000 gift to the school to be used as the board or school deems appropriate. Thank you to all the families who have donated. Mathias Kirch and Ashlea Walton joined the foundation board. Al reported the foundation has resumed exempt status. Next meeting is Oct 3rd 6-730 pm at Honey Creek.

Teacher Liaison Report- Jeannie Crayne

  • No major issues. Concern of the organization of the grade level potluck. What is the goal being so close to the back to school picnic? Who is organizing? As Al echoed earlier if potlucks are continued should it be offsite? Should it be done at all levels? Input and discussion from attendees was that the potluck is valuable for new families.

Action Issues:

  • 2016-17 PTO budget: Mary Edlund

This budget based on last year’s activity. Budget was proposed and reviewed. Over the summer the PTO executive committee met several times to discuss possibility of ½ day enrichment activities to offset some of time outside of class. The PTO could not coordinate this based on money, time, and volunteers needed. An option to help offset some of the extra costs was brought up for after care assistance and applying funds to the HC scholarship fund. Sherry brought up importance of parent knowledge of scholarship. Sharon asked Al to have an email sent to the community alerting families about financial assistance. Historically, several families have used the scholarship assistance according to discussions with Shellee.  Balance budget discussion occurred. Adjustments were made and the 2016-17 budget will be posted on the PTO website for comment between now and the next PTO meeting. A motion to place the budget up for review on the website was made by Mary Edlund and seconded by Alison. All were in favor.

  • Motion to approve Janet Nichols as the new 2016-17 PTO Treasurer was made by Mary Edlund and seconded by Sharon Maccini. All in favor. Welcome Janet.
  • Alison thanked Mary for her 4 years of service to the PTO as treasurer

PTO Committee Reports:

  • Wellness: Jane Pacheco reported that the wellness committee has an external hard drive documenting wellness activities from Deb Lentz. Anyone is welcome to join the committee. Farm to school is a try it day Thurs 9/22. Eric and Christine will coordinate. Wellness committee mtg 9/20 8:15 in office conference room. Harvest Dinner fundraiser is  Oct 21st. This year, Chris Chiapelli, the chef at The Black Pearl will create the food. Edible garden and green house needs helpers. Stem committee and wellness will talk to collaborate on some activities. Harvest Dinner wants table cloths. Reusable tablecloths were purchased last year and are in the graduation bins in the PTO closet.
  • STEM : Plans to continue assisting with the fall festival slime table. Specific volunteer opportunities for STEM will be available during the year. Meeting with Teachers to get stem related grade level needs. Science Olympiad MS wants MS students this year.
  • Arts: Chris reported via email that Arts committee wants to focus on Christine Bruxvoort needs and supplementing the Art curriculum.
  • Literacy: Karen Larsen via email: First meeting will be in October. Many activities scheduled for 2017, March is reading month, used book sale, promoting summer reading. Ann asked Karen to consider sponsoring a book sale at the fall festival as HC has done in the past.
  • Room Parents – We need a room parent for music and tech teachers. The room parent handbook was updated. MS dance Sept 30th. Need a parent to organize graduation dance, notes from last year will be uploaded to athe google drive in the next month. HC banners were purchased for use for all activities.

Completed events:  Welcome back picnic

Upcoming Events:               Walk and run a thon Saturday September 24, 2016, 9am -4 pm

Middle School Dance, September 30th, 3:15-6:45 pm

Back to school grade level potlucks

There being no further business to come before the PTO, a motion to adjourn the meeting was made by Alison and seconded by Mary. The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 am.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO secretary

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s