November 2016 PTO minutes

The proposed PTO budget passed at the Nov 11th meeting. These are the minutes from that meeting that will be reviewed on Dec 9th.

Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date: Nov 11, 2016

Location: Office conference room

Alison acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting

The meeting was called to order at 8:31 am

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Alison Polidano Sharon Maccini Lara Thomas  
Julie De Jong Christine Kelley Abby Adams  
Ann Kovacs Shawnda Nichols    
Mary Edlund Matthias Kirch    

 

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Lara and seconded by Alison to approve the minutes. Motion passed.

Director’s reports– Al Waters unavailable do to meeting conflict. Look for upcoming school email with accreditation results when available.

School Board Report– Matthias Kirch reported that Andy Sheibar has been working on marketing summary for marketing the school. The Board approved the school’s strategic plan. Board is looking for 2 new members to increase to up to 13 members. Next board meeting is November 30 at 5:30 pm.

HC Foundation Report– Sharon Maccini attended the last Foundation meeting is reporting two fundraising campaigns in the works:  1. Grandparent campaign to raise money, ongoing campaign from the fall 2. Alumni fundraising campaign with assist from MS teachers to get started with a contact list.

Teacher Liaison Report– Jeannie will follow up with Alison outside of the meeting. Jeannie was unavailable due to a meeting conflict.

Treasurer 2016-17 Budget: Budget was presented again and no comments were made on the website over the past month or before.  Mary motioned to approve the budget, Alison seconded. The PTO 2016-17 budget was approved. Supply checks will be written to the teachers.

PTO Committee Reports

  • Wellness: Harvest Dinner raised $1600 after expenses. We fed 220 people. WISD presentation on screen time went well. Committee will send out an email summary from that presentation. Wellness was asked by Al to cover the cost for a speaker for teacher professional development day on “Anxiety and Depression in kids”. Mindfulness initiative will be discussed at the next Wellness meeting. Nov 23rd at 8:15 am.
  • STEM: Report from Sherry who joined us online. STEM applied for a $2000 grant toward Science Olympiad for both Elementary and MS teams. Grant awards are posted Dec 15th. Sara Brintnall will lead the Elementary Team and Sherry will lead the Middle School team. The STEM committee is working on marketing for the STEM Fair which is scheduled for Friday, Feb 24, 2017. Posters will go up after Thanksgiving reminding families about the STEM Fair and encouraging more student projects to be submitted.
  • Arts : No new update
  • Literacy: Email from Karen Larson: Thank you for participating in the Nicola’s fundraiser. We will be informed of results once the special orders get picked up. March is reading month activity details will be forthcoming.
  • Room Parents –Lara follow up from last month; the school supply lists for “year-long classroom needs” are being updated by the teachers, holiday gift collections to be started soon.
  • Letter writing campaign: Sharon Maccini discussed a parents and students letter writing campaign to politicians to try to affect finances of charter schools. If you have any legislator contacts or are interested let Sharon know at pto.chair@gmail.com. With the election this week and turnover in Michigan legislature this will likely be started after January. Sharon will also contact Joe in the MS about student input.

Discussion Points/ Action items:

  • Abby Adams -Spirit wear sale now thru Nov 20th. See email sent with order form.
  • 6th-7th grade parents HELP NEEDED : Graduation stage and chair set up and graduation dance set up for June. Contact Lara Thomas for information at ljthomas@umich.edu
  • PTO closet sheet has been placed on the door to see who uses the closet. Goal is to get better organization and inventory of PTO items.
  • Topic brought up to inform the community about money raised from Box tops and scrip and what its used to purchase or to fund to motivate families to save.

No further business brought forward meeting was adjourned at  9:07 am.

Next PTO meeting December 9, 2016 at 8:30 am, location to be determined.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO secretary

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s