April PTO minutes

Note: these are unapproved minutes to be approved at the next PTO meeting May 12, 2017.

April Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date April 13, 2017

Location: Pit

Alison acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting. The meeting was called to order at 8:29 am Alison and seconded by Sharon.

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Ann Kovacs Alison Polidano Al Waters  
Lara Thomas Abby Adams Sarah Hakala  
Sherry MacKay Sharon Maccini Janet Nichols  

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Lara to approve the March minutes and was seconded by Abby. Minutes approved.

Director’s reports- Al Waters

  • Testing has started. M-step for grades 3-8 and K/1 second semester assessments. Grant received for a 3 week “literacy camp” to be offered this summer for those kids who need to increase reading skills.
  • First district (WISD) wellness committee meeting was attended by Al. If school sell /provide food like Bagel day and bake sales before and after school it will have to be reported to the state. Al will be looking at these regulations with the wellness committee (High Point representative, WISD nurses, and Honey Creek persons are on the committee).
  • HC 2017-8 Calendar discussions continue. HBON survey sent out, 12-15 responses so far. Al will communicate more with the community with responses he has received and the school board’s decision in the future.
  • Faculty appreciation luncheon will be May 5th but due to High Point staff having a full school day it will just be HC staff and will be in conjunction with PTO. Jenna and Matt are providing this for their final time. Someone else will need to coordinate with HC and HP staff next year to continue.
  • School Board meeting: Sustainability officer for securing long term grants, inventory volunteer hours, seeking benefactors will be hired. 3 interviews were conducted an offer will be extended to one candidate next week. Initially, a 1 year contract to be offered with benchmarks to meet with extension if goals are being met. HC Foundation will support the school board’s decision to benefit the school.
  • Beauty school is moving out of the building. It is likely that by end of 2017 Honey Creek will move 3 classrooms to this new area (MS math, MS science, Cheryl’s). 2 modular buildings in the rear of the building to be built as “remodeling” spaces so as classes get remodeled this will temporarily act as classrooms until classroom remodels are finished.
  • Ann Arbor Learning Community (AALC) enrollment down and may have space to rent to Honey Creek. Honey Creek may be able to open classes K1 and 2/3 based on our current waiting list within the AALC space in the hopes to replicate another HC school and grow over time. The school board is considering this if is feasible and will know more by May. WISD will have to authorize a replication and Al has submitted a proposal to them.

School Board Report– see above in Al’s report.

HC Foundation Report– see above in Al’s report.

Discussion Points:

  • Earth day events Friday April 21: Email from Catherine Marquardt. Leslie Science and Nature Center is providing an assembly in the morning focused on animals and the food chain. Teachers will do activities with classes when their kids are not in the assembly. The afternoon activities are set to be outside. Help will be needed and a sign up will be sent out.
  • Stem fair is combining with fall festival and will work with all PTO committees to make it happen. Sherry MacKay will take this on and Ann will help transition.
  • Teacher appreciation week is May 1-5 PTO will be bringing treat or gift each day. Details were discussed.
  • An email will be sent out summarizing, executive committee PTO needs, event coordinator positons and helpers that are needed for the PTO next year. There is a critical need for volunteers across all of the school: board, foundation and PTO entities.

Teacher Liaison Report– Jeannie not present.

Budget:  Janet Nichols reported normal budget activity. Talent show will net nearly $2000 and will be used for the 8th grade trip. Money will be deposited, expenses paid, then back to school as they pay for the trip expenses ( buses, etc ) It will have a line item in the budget to show the money in/out with expenses from year to year. Sherry Mac Kay asked what costs so much for this annual trip when parents were also asked to put in additional money. Small discussion was had and Sherry will follow up with questions to Shelley.

PTO Committee Reports

  • STEM: Sherry MacKay reported Fall festival and STEM fair will be merged this year. STEM committee will try to work in more science related activities during Fall Festival and will work with Wellness and the Harvest Dinner, and Arts committees as have been done in the past. Integrating student projects has not been worked out. STEM will also be working with Arts committee for lunch with an expert series.
  • Wellness: Welcome back picnic sites have been toured by Julie. Requested by staff to make sure it has parking, bathrooms, BBQ, and a pavilion that can be reserved. Meeting all requirements is Southeast Park at Ellsworth and Platt Rds. Concern if baseball/soccer games are played that night that parking may be an issue. Alison suggested looking at Mill Pond Park in Saline (down Wagner Rd.)  Mindfulness pilot in K/1 continues to go well with parents receiving weekly updates in a newsletter. A speaker will be hosted April 24th from 6-7:30. Dr. Scott Becker will speak on parenting/media/screen time. RSVP for pre speaker dinner to Julie. Onsite child care will be provided. Wellness will provide fruit and popsicles for PE play day on June 2nd.  A parent interested in leading the farm to school program is needed for next year as both parents for this year are unable to continue next year.
  • Arts: email from Chris Untalan. He reported the talent show went well and was well attended. Al reported feedback from some parents and staff: Some unsupervised students were on the playground, wandering through the halls and some disorganization of the talent show team had trouble cueing the acts and were not performing their tasks. A discussion of when at school functions parents must supervise their children. Organization and performing assigned tasks will be important teaching for the Life Skills class next year with a new teacher. A list of tasks and responsibilities is available on the shared drive. Discussion on who might teach this next year with discussion to talk with Joe or MS teacher coordinating Life Skills classes next year. High point students were involved in the arts show for the first time.
  • Literacy: Email from Karen Larsen. Gently used book will be collected in A wing lobby for the end of year book sale. Books have been ordered for the school media center from the money raised at our Nicola’s book fair earlier this year. Teachers and staff had input for the books that were needed. We have invited Nicola’s Books to the May curriculum celebration to sell books. Also, they have agreed to have an in store sale the same weekend ( Fri-Sun) 20% of purchased are received as credit at Nicola’s to purchase more books for the media center.
  • Room Parents – Lara Thomas reported that end of year collection for teachers and staff will be done. Room parents may do something for their classes in addition to PTO for teacher appreciation week.
  • Letter writing campaign for Charter advocacy: It would be helpful to get talking points for families to send letters to Lansing to senators and representatives on the education committee, governor and lieutenant governor. Draft letter by April 30th. Charter Day at the Capital is May 3rd at 10:00 am. We could get addresses from MAPSA. Al to help us with talking points.

Completed events:             Talent show

Upcoming Events:               Earth day

Teacher appreciation week May 1-5

No further business was brought forward. Alison motioned to adjourn and Lara seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 9:47 am. These minutes will be reviewed at the beginning of the May 12, 2017 meeting, 8:30 am in the PIT.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO Secretary

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s