June 2017 PTO Minutes

These minutes will be approved at the next PTO meeting which will be during next school year in September 2017.

June Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date 6/9/17

Location: Pit

Alison acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting

The meeting was called to order at   8:25 ___am

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Al Waters Catherine Marquardt Sarah Hakala  
Sharon Maccini Sherry MacKay    
Allison Polidano Ann Kovacs    
Lara Thomas Jeannie Crayne    

 

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Allison and seconded by Sherry/Abby. Minutes approved.

Director’s reports– Al Waters

  1. Summer moves: Beauty school is moving out of B wing , hopefully by November. Two modular classrooms will act as renovation rooms and will be added over the summer to the rear of the current modular. This will support classes moving them temporarily while classroom renovations occur over this next year.
  2. Meagan Rodgers is new sustainable officer hired by the school board. She is working on researching grants to support the school. Initial commitment is 1 year. Goal is to have a renewable contract if certain benchmarks are reached. Initial benchmark is to raise $25,000/quarter, other benchmarks are being finalized.
  3. The board will not be moving forward with AALC to use space in their building to initiate expansion for next school year, the cut-off date was 5/24/17. The board is looking at other options such as a second charter with WISD or Eastern Michigan University. Rent and classroom space is expensive. Discussion of expansion vs replication of a school occurred at this meeting. If replication were to occur it would occur gradually starting with k-1 levels and thoughtful way to keep stability with the project based philosophy. The Board is doing its due diligence for moving the school forward looking at all options. Al has been working with the state and grant applications for expansions. Sherry suggested the board having “white papers” or an electronic document  re: progress regarding specific topics such as funding, expansion so parents can go to read about the up to date information which would help families who can’t attend meetings and want to be informed. This would limit speculation.
  4. Thank you to the PTO for library shelving purchase it will be installed this summer. Someone will be coming in to complete library inventory and additional books purchased with book sales will be added to inventory.
  5. Discussion brought up again from last PTO meeting. Talent show money net income is put toward the Charter bus fee toward 8th grade trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Who sets up the budget for the trip? Discussion of teachers, Shellee, cost of charter bus, van and trailer rental, food, how much money the PTO assists with so parents can see what the costs are as they are asked for additional funds before the trip.  Allison suggested that a Talent show/trip  budget may be subset to PTO budget for transparency. Further discussion will occur for next year.

School Board Report– see Al’s report. The next Board Meeting is  5/28/17 at 5:30 pm at school. All are welcome to attend.

HC Foundation Report– no report

Discussion: PTO positions still open especially Secretary and Co-Chairperson. Several people have been inquiring about positions. A Bagel Day coordinator now needed to continue to offer bagels on Fridays. Allison will send out a list after school gets out for another request for help.  Discussion about HC PTO paypal account will discuss with treasurer to cover things like walk and run a thon, bagel days, talent night. No additional space is available at this time for the PTO to move supplies. Allison will continue to work with Al to find space that would not have to be shared with all others.

Teacher Liaison Report: No issues. Will discuss with teachers to set up Amazon wish lists for school supplies to get best deals before back to school rush and can be shared with room parents to distribute.

Budget: Looks on target and may end up with a small surplus ahead of budget. Not all items have been paid out for the year as of yet. Alison and Janet will meet June/July to review.

PTO Committee Reports :

  • Wellness: no update beyond what was in Honey Bunches of Notes last week.
  • STEM: Sherry reports Fall Stem Fest is Oct 20th and on the school calendar. Possible discussion of combining with Arts and having a “STEAM committee”.
  • Arts : email from Chris Untalan: Don Prokopow joined the committee and will be teaching the talent night life skills class next year. Art books including works of Georgia O’Keefe, Frida Kahlo/ Diego Rivera, observational drawing and working from doodle patterns were purchased for $170 getting a 20 % discount from Nicola’s for the library.
  • Literacy : email from Karen Larson: Thank you to the community for supporting the Nicola’s fundraiser. Participation raised $471.79 in book credit at the store. The committee will be working on a plan for the funds. Thank you for the book donations for the book swap boxes. This has been successful and many students will have a jump start to summer reading. Summer reading flyers will go home with the kids soon as well as tips for parents. Special thank you to two parents who have helped in the library this year, Megan Kucaj and Katy Kramp. The committee is working on a plan for more volunteer support for next year.
  • Room Parents : Lara Thomas: Collections for teachers and staff is complete and most of gifts have been distributed or will be soon. Pay pal has worked at MS grade levels and was initiated by some room parents at younger grade levels. Abby Adams will be helping Lara next year with room parent coordinating, Abby will coordinate K-5 and Lara will coordinate middle school. Lara will ask room parents to help ask parents to fill any of the open PTO positions. Jeannie will ask teachers to suggest active parents as well.

Charter Advocates/MAPSA letter writing: Allison will send another email asking parent to print and send letters to the legislators. She got a response from one legislator  asking for more information and has been working with Al on getting more information about our special education services.

No further business was brought forward. The meeting was adjourned at      9:45       am.  The next PTO meeting will be scheduled for Friday, September 15, 2017.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO Secretary

 

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s