Author Archives: anntomkovacs

June 2017 PTO Minutes

These minutes will be approved at the next PTO meeting which will be during next school year in September 2017.

June Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date 6/9/17

Location: Pit

Alison acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting

The meeting was called to order at   8:25 ___am

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Al Waters Catherine Marquardt Sarah Hakala  
Sharon Maccini Sherry MacKay    
Allison Polidano Ann Kovacs    
Lara Thomas Jeannie Crayne    

 

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Allison and seconded by Sherry/Abby. Minutes approved.

Director’s reports– Al Waters

  1. Summer moves: Beauty school is moving out of B wing , hopefully by November. Two modular classrooms will act as renovation rooms and will be added over the summer to the rear of the current modular. This will support classes moving them temporarily while classroom renovations occur over this next year.
  2. Meagan Rodgers is new sustainable officer hired by the school board. She is working on researching grants to support the school. Initial commitment is 1 year. Goal is to have a renewable contract if certain benchmarks are reached. Initial benchmark is to raise $25,000/quarter, other benchmarks are being finalized.
  3. The board will not be moving forward with AALC to use space in their building to initiate expansion for next school year, the cut-off date was 5/24/17. The board is looking at other options such as a second charter with WISD or Eastern Michigan University. Rent and classroom space is expensive. Discussion of expansion vs replication of a school occurred at this meeting. If replication were to occur it would occur gradually starting with k-1 levels and thoughtful way to keep stability with the project based philosophy. The Board is doing its due diligence for moving the school forward looking at all options. Al has been working with the state and grant applications for expansions. Sherry suggested the board having “white papers” or an electronic document  re: progress regarding specific topics such as funding, expansion so parents can go to read about the up to date information which would help families who can’t attend meetings and want to be informed. This would limit speculation.
  4. Thank you to the PTO for library shelving purchase it will be installed this summer. Someone will be coming in to complete library inventory and additional books purchased with book sales will be added to inventory.
  5. Discussion brought up again from last PTO meeting. Talent show money net income is put toward the Charter bus fee toward 8th grade trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Who sets up the budget for the trip? Discussion of teachers, Shellee, cost of charter bus, van and trailer rental, food, how much money the PTO assists with so parents can see what the costs are as they are asked for additional funds before the trip.  Allison suggested that a Talent show/trip  budget may be subset to PTO budget for transparency. Further discussion will occur for next year.

School Board Report– see Al’s report. The next Board Meeting is  5/28/17 at 5:30 pm at school. All are welcome to attend.

HC Foundation Report– no report

Discussion: PTO positions still open especially Secretary and Co-Chairperson. Several people have been inquiring about positions. A Bagel Day coordinator now needed to continue to offer bagels on Fridays. Allison will send out a list after school gets out for another request for help.  Discussion about HC PTO paypal account will discuss with treasurer to cover things like walk and run a thon, bagel days, talent night. No additional space is available at this time for the PTO to move supplies. Allison will continue to work with Al to find space that would not have to be shared with all others.

Teacher Liaison Report: No issues. Will discuss with teachers to set up Amazon wish lists for school supplies to get best deals before back to school rush and can be shared with room parents to distribute.

Budget: Looks on target and may end up with a small surplus ahead of budget. Not all items have been paid out for the year as of yet. Alison and Janet will meet June/July to review.

PTO Committee Reports :

  • Wellness: no update beyond what was in Honey Bunches of Notes last week.
  • STEM: Sherry reports Fall Stem Fest is Oct 20th and on the school calendar. Possible discussion of combining with Arts and having a “STEAM committee”.
  • Arts : email from Chris Untalan: Don Prokopow joined the committee and will be teaching the talent night life skills class next year. Art books including works of Georgia O’Keefe, Frida Kahlo/ Diego Rivera, observational drawing and working from doodle patterns were purchased for $170 getting a 20 % discount from Nicola’s for the library.
  • Literacy : email from Karen Larson: Thank you to the community for supporting the Nicola’s fundraiser. Participation raised $471.79 in book credit at the store. The committee will be working on a plan for the funds. Thank you for the book donations for the book swap boxes. This has been successful and many students will have a jump start to summer reading. Summer reading flyers will go home with the kids soon as well as tips for parents. Special thank you to two parents who have helped in the library this year, Megan Kucaj and Katy Kramp. The committee is working on a plan for more volunteer support for next year.
  • Room Parents : Lara Thomas: Collections for teachers and staff is complete and most of gifts have been distributed or will be soon. Pay pal has worked at MS grade levels and was initiated by some room parents at younger grade levels. Abby Adams will be helping Lara next year with room parent coordinating, Abby will coordinate K-5 and Lara will coordinate middle school. Lara will ask room parents to help ask parents to fill any of the open PTO positions. Jeannie will ask teachers to suggest active parents as well.

Charter Advocates/MAPSA letter writing: Allison will send another email asking parent to print and send letters to the legislators. She got a response from one legislator  asking for more information and has been working with Al on getting more information about our special education services.

No further business was brought forward. The meeting was adjourned at      9:45       am.  The next PTO meeting will be scheduled for Friday, September 15, 2017.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO Secretary

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes

May 2017 PTO Minutes

The following meeting minutes were taken at the May 12th meeting and will be approved at the next meeting on June 9th.

May Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date 5/12/17

Location: Pit

Alison acted as chairperson, and Julie acted as secretary of the meeting

The meeting was called to order at   _8:35__am

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Alison Polidano Jeannie Crayne    
Sharon Maccini Lara Thomas    
Sherry MacKay Abby Adams    
Julie de Jong      

 

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by _Julie de Jong____ and seconded by _Alison Polidano. Motion passed.

Director’s reports– Al Waters absent, no update

School Board Report– No representatives present, no update

HC Foundation Report– No representatives present, no update

Discussion: Teacher appreciation week/open positions on PTO

Teacher Appreciation Week: The week went very well. Jeannie noted that emails to each group were much appreciated and that staff members in all groups felt adequately represented.  There was some discussion about how to demonstrate appreciation toward the administration, although not necessarily during Teacher Appreciation Week.

Open Roles: The PTO open role document is working well as an interactive document and some people have signed up for jobs. The PTO will continue to evolve the document to include when events take place, who to contact, where materials are located. Lara will have a hardcopy of the spreadsheet of open roles when she is collecting end-of-year donations at Bagel Friday.

PTO closet:  Discussion about state of the closet; Melissa reports missing juice boxes. There was some discussion of a locked cabinet within the PTO closet for PTO-specific supplies. It was noted that there are a lot of theater supplies currently in the closet as well, and PTO will check in with Ashley to see if some materials could be stored on stage. Alison will check with Al about moving other event-specific supplies (e.g., graduation supplies) to the cabinets in the Pit.

High Point/Honey Creek Communication: There was discussion about how to promote more awareness of the High Point Fun Run for next year.  Lara noted that there is more awareness at the Middle School level, but teachers would like more bridge building between the two communities.

Facebook Groups: There are currently two somewhat active FB group; Honey Creek Gatherings and Honey Creek PTO. There was discussion about whether the HC PTO should be deleted, and what efforts we can make to publicize the FB groups with new families. Julie will talk with Karen H. or Paully about the Gatherings group and whether they would be open to adding more moderators and maintaining only one group.

Teacher Liaison Report: Jeannie Crayne

Teacher appreciation lunch was very much appreciated. The format was very nice.

Teachers want to be sure to consider how to include High Point teachers in luncheon next year; communication ongoing so that there is better coordination with HC/HP.

If there is anything the teachers can do to make the potential 2PM Friday dismissal go smoother with parents, let them know.

Teachers would like more Chrome books at the beginning of the year for next year, using the money from the Fall 2017 Fun Run. The recent mandated testing underlined the need for additional equipment.

Budget: no update.

Jeannie noted the potential fundraising idea of partnering with a car dealership to test-drive cars on-site. Saline School District held a similar fundraiser, where one person per household could test drive a car and the dealership gives the school $20 for test drive.

PTO Committee Reports :

  • Wellness: The Mindfulness Pilot in K/1, led by Grace Kotre, continues to go well. She submitted an external proposal for grant money to train teachers in Mindfulness this past month. Regardless of proposal’s success, she is in discussions with 2/3 teachers about working in the 2/3 classrooms next year. Lara expressed interest in bringing it to the Middle School level as well, and will begin informal discussions with the teachers. The Edible garden is going well. Maturation bags were distributed to the 4/5 students on May 12. The committee will provide snacks/water for PE Play day. At the next meeting, discussions will take place on how the committee can support health in the building after this year’s outbreaks of norovirus and lice. Lara noted the letter from Al about illness and keeping kids home, while recognizing that it is a hardship for some families. At the same time, we have to balance this message with the message that the new WISD policy sends on absence. This needs to be an ongoing community discussion. Members of the committee have attended the mandated ISD Wellness Committee Meetings along with Al and Kristyne, and will be creating a one page handout for healthy, no nut snacks.
  • STEM: The Fall STEM Festival will be on Oct. 20, and an associated committee will be starting up soon. There has been discussion with Chris from Fine Arts about coordination with STEM and whether the two committees should be combined into a STEAM committee.  Each committee is having one more meeting separately, and then will be voting on whether they will merge. STEM is hoping to expand the trebuchet committee so that instructions and location of materials are better documented. Julie will check with Al on possible options for space for trebuchet supplies. STEM continues to have discussion about how to have WESO and other STEM events be more appealing to older kids. Bruce is coordinating Lunch with an Expert starting up in the fall next year, and Fine Arts and Wellness have committed to contributing to this effort.
  • Arts (email from Chris Untalan): The arts committee met end of April and talked about the talent show and how we’d like to move forward as no one yet has volunteered to take over the life skills class. We are planning on (in the short term) a poster campaign to post around school which would read, “help save talent night”. We know that the community really likes talent night, and hopefully if there’s pressure that it might not continue someone might step up. The total door proceeds were around $1700.00. Ad sponsors totaled around $1200. Our total expenses came in around $1300-$1400; the largest of which was food (~$800). We have decided that the dinner would not be a necessary component to include in the future if there’s lack of volunteers to take over that life skills class. We thought to have instead a confession booth, organized by one of our after school groups (field hockey, cross country, girl scouts etc) and proceeds from confessions could help with the fundraiser. Also, since there wouldn’t be an official dinner we could lower the ticket price to $5 from $8.
  • Literacy (email from Karen Larson): The Literacy Committee is looking forward to having Nicola’s at curriculum celebration. We get 20% of purchases back as a book credit for the library. We also benefit from in store and online sales that weekend. The previous Nicola’s fundraiser allowed new books to be purchased for  the media center with input from the teachers. A huge thanks to Katy Kramp and Meagen Kucaj for the many hours they have spent this year volunteering in the media center. Instead of a used book sale, we are having a book swap. There is a collection box in the lobby for gently used books. The swap will be in June.
  • Room Parents and End of Year Donations: Lara talked to Sandy Little. In order to collect money, get Scrip certificates, and give teachers the opportunity to use the before the end of the year, Lara will be collecting money at bagel day on May 19, May 26, June 2. Teachers will be able to redeem cards June 5 – 9. Lara will be collecting for everyone.  Lara noted we have always collected donations for Karen, last year was the first time we collected for Al/Shellee because of parent request. Further discussion need about plans to recognize them at the end of the year. Room parents are encouraged to use PayPal account for classroom donations. Also discussed was the idea of one PTO PayPal account, with different note lines for money to be allocated to specific people/groups.
  • Bagel Friday: Note to Melissa about possible PayPal account for Friday bagels.
  • 8th grade trip and gift: The trip budget should be presented to the PTO before implementation. Sherry will start an email chain about this. Also discussed was the 8th grade class gift back to school and increased transparency about donations.

Charter Advocates/MAPSA letter writing campaign: Not discussed

Upcoming Events: Sharon sent out a Sign-up Genius for Graduation.

No further business was brought forward. The meeting was adjourned at    10:05         am.

Respectfully submitted,

Julie De Jong on behalf of Ann Kovacs, PTO Secretary

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes

April PTO minutes

Note: these are unapproved minutes to be approved at the next PTO meeting May 12, 2017.

April Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date April 13, 2017

Location: Pit

Alison acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting. The meeting was called to order at 8:29 am Alison and seconded by Sharon.

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Ann Kovacs Alison Polidano Al Waters  
Lara Thomas Abby Adams Sarah Hakala  
Sherry MacKay Sharon Maccini Janet Nichols  

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Lara to approve the March minutes and was seconded by Abby. Minutes approved.

Director’s reports- Al Waters

  • Testing has started. M-step for grades 3-8 and K/1 second semester assessments. Grant received for a 3 week “literacy camp” to be offered this summer for those kids who need to increase reading skills.
  • First district (WISD) wellness committee meeting was attended by Al. If school sell /provide food like Bagel day and bake sales before and after school it will have to be reported to the state. Al will be looking at these regulations with the wellness committee (High Point representative, WISD nurses, and Honey Creek persons are on the committee).
  • HC 2017-8 Calendar discussions continue. HBON survey sent out, 12-15 responses so far. Al will communicate more with the community with responses he has received and the school board’s decision in the future.
  • Faculty appreciation luncheon will be May 5th but due to High Point staff having a full school day it will just be HC staff and will be in conjunction with PTO. Jenna and Matt are providing this for their final time. Someone else will need to coordinate with HC and HP staff next year to continue.
  • School Board meeting: Sustainability officer for securing long term grants, inventory volunteer hours, seeking benefactors will be hired. 3 interviews were conducted an offer will be extended to one candidate next week. Initially, a 1 year contract to be offered with benchmarks to meet with extension if goals are being met. HC Foundation will support the school board’s decision to benefit the school.
  • Beauty school is moving out of the building. It is likely that by end of 2017 Honey Creek will move 3 classrooms to this new area (MS math, MS science, Cheryl’s). 2 modular buildings in the rear of the building to be built as “remodeling” spaces so as classes get remodeled this will temporarily act as classrooms until classroom remodels are finished.
  • Ann Arbor Learning Community (AALC) enrollment down and may have space to rent to Honey Creek. Honey Creek may be able to open classes K1 and 2/3 based on our current waiting list within the AALC space in the hopes to replicate another HC school and grow over time. The school board is considering this if is feasible and will know more by May. WISD will have to authorize a replication and Al has submitted a proposal to them.

School Board Report– see above in Al’s report.

HC Foundation Report– see above in Al’s report.

Discussion Points:

  • Earth day events Friday April 21: Email from Catherine Marquardt. Leslie Science and Nature Center is providing an assembly in the morning focused on animals and the food chain. Teachers will do activities with classes when their kids are not in the assembly. The afternoon activities are set to be outside. Help will be needed and a sign up will be sent out.
  • Stem fair is combining with fall festival and will work with all PTO committees to make it happen. Sherry MacKay will take this on and Ann will help transition.
  • Teacher appreciation week is May 1-5 PTO will be bringing treat or gift each day. Details were discussed.
  • An email will be sent out summarizing, executive committee PTO needs, event coordinator positons and helpers that are needed for the PTO next year. There is a critical need for volunteers across all of the school: board, foundation and PTO entities.

Teacher Liaison Report– Jeannie not present.

Budget:  Janet Nichols reported normal budget activity. Talent show will net nearly $2000 and will be used for the 8th grade trip. Money will be deposited, expenses paid, then back to school as they pay for the trip expenses ( buses, etc ) It will have a line item in the budget to show the money in/out with expenses from year to year. Sherry Mac Kay asked what costs so much for this annual trip when parents were also asked to put in additional money. Small discussion was had and Sherry will follow up with questions to Shelley.

PTO Committee Reports

  • STEM: Sherry MacKay reported Fall festival and STEM fair will be merged this year. STEM committee will try to work in more science related activities during Fall Festival and will work with Wellness and the Harvest Dinner, and Arts committees as have been done in the past. Integrating student projects has not been worked out. STEM will also be working with Arts committee for lunch with an expert series.
  • Wellness: Welcome back picnic sites have been toured by Julie. Requested by staff to make sure it has parking, bathrooms, BBQ, and a pavilion that can be reserved. Meeting all requirements is Southeast Park at Ellsworth and Platt Rds. Concern if baseball/soccer games are played that night that parking may be an issue. Alison suggested looking at Mill Pond Park in Saline (down Wagner Rd.)  Mindfulness pilot in K/1 continues to go well with parents receiving weekly updates in a newsletter. A speaker will be hosted April 24th from 6-7:30. Dr. Scott Becker will speak on parenting/media/screen time. RSVP for pre speaker dinner to Julie. Onsite child care will be provided. Wellness will provide fruit and popsicles for PE play day on June 2nd.  A parent interested in leading the farm to school program is needed for next year as both parents for this year are unable to continue next year.
  • Arts: email from Chris Untalan. He reported the talent show went well and was well attended. Al reported feedback from some parents and staff: Some unsupervised students were on the playground, wandering through the halls and some disorganization of the talent show team had trouble cueing the acts and were not performing their tasks. A discussion of when at school functions parents must supervise their children. Organization and performing assigned tasks will be important teaching for the Life Skills class next year with a new teacher. A list of tasks and responsibilities is available on the shared drive. Discussion on who might teach this next year with discussion to talk with Joe or MS teacher coordinating Life Skills classes next year. High point students were involved in the arts show for the first time.
  • Literacy: Email from Karen Larsen. Gently used book will be collected in A wing lobby for the end of year book sale. Books have been ordered for the school media center from the money raised at our Nicola’s book fair earlier this year. Teachers and staff had input for the books that were needed. We have invited Nicola’s Books to the May curriculum celebration to sell books. Also, they have agreed to have an in store sale the same weekend ( Fri-Sun) 20% of purchased are received as credit at Nicola’s to purchase more books for the media center.
  • Room Parents – Lara Thomas reported that end of year collection for teachers and staff will be done. Room parents may do something for their classes in addition to PTO for teacher appreciation week.
  • Letter writing campaign for Charter advocacy: It would be helpful to get talking points for families to send letters to Lansing to senators and representatives on the education committee, governor and lieutenant governor. Draft letter by April 30th. Charter Day at the Capital is May 3rd at 10:00 am. We could get addresses from MAPSA. Al to help us with talking points.

Completed events:             Talent show

Upcoming Events:               Earth day

Teacher appreciation week May 1-5

No further business was brought forward. Alison motioned to adjourn and Lara seconded. The meeting was adjourned at 9:47 am. These minutes will be reviewed at the beginning of the May 12, 2017 meeting, 8:30 am in the PIT.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO Secretary

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes

CPK Fundraiser March 17-19

Go to California Pizza kitchen at Briarwood Mall for lunch or dinner, bring the flyer in the link and 20 % of your check goes back to the PTO to fund school activities and assist the teachers and the school. This flyer was also emailed to you.

Honeycreek flyer March 2017 (1)

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements

March PTO minutes

These minutes will be reviewed and approved at the next PTO meeting April 14, 2017. Please leave any comments below the post or email me at hccs.pto.secretary@gmail.com.

March Minutes of the Monthly meeting of the Honey Creek Community School PTO

Date March 10, 2017

Location: Pit

Alison acted as chairperson, and Ann acted as secretary of the meeting

The meeting was called to order at 8:26 am

The secretary announced that the meeting was held pursuant to notice properly given and there was a quorum as represented by the following attendees:

Present in person:

Sherry MacKay Julie De Jong Illia Mantle  
Lara Thomas Sharon Maccini Eric Moore  
Al Waters Abby Adams    
Ann Kovacs Mary Edlund    

Proceedings:

The minutes were distributed at the meeting, in the meeting announcement and on the PTO website. A motion was made by Allison and seconded by Mary. Motion passed.

Director’s reports- Al Waters

  • Discussion/proposal to use WNRAT funds for library shelves to replace failing shelves, and Ellison Dies to support the geometry curriculum across the school grades. Al has submitted a proposal with the shelves and dies with costs included. If total is more than available some of the order can be adjusted. All in attendance agreed with the proposal.
  • School Board approved raises 5 % for most, new faculty 2%. HC Fund balance will be 10-11% by end of school year. Other Michigan schools average 8-9 % fund balance. HC school board is looking to set aside $25,000 to get a person to establish large grant asks to bring more money into the school now to get funds committed to the school. The board is looking into to bring on a principal to take on administrative role and learn the school before Al retires, this will help with continuity. Community input is welcome.
  • Working on calendar for 2017-18, fewer half days are planned. With the state mandating certain hours in classroom and days of attendance schedule changes are difficult. We have to coordinate with High Point, HP buses and start time. We have enough in classroom hours required by the state adding days also increase class hours. The school board discussed an idea to end school day at 2:15 on Fridays (1 hour early). Community input would be appreciated. High point buses come at 2:30 so work would be needed to be done to coordinate an early dismissal.
  • HC Foundation met this week. Total family participation in the foundation is down; the number of monthly donors is up, ultimately revenue is up. 40% of families are participating in foundation donations.
  • Greenhouse updates to occur in June of this year. An Eagle Scout project will be to update the greenhouse, install wheelchair height tables, add a watering system, and clear out unused items. Al recommended the purchase a shed next to the outdoor science cabinet to keep tools in for the summer garden to make access easier .Wellness will looking into purchasing cabinet. Discussion of greenhouse key and possibility it can be locked in the shed that is purchased to give access when needed. For harvested food that is not taken: Food gatherers will take extra food. Girl scouts may be able to assist in summer garden caretaking. MS may be able to work with HP buddy in the greenhouse for watering seeds if no one is able to do this. Al will ask k1, 2-3 who usually plant seeds and will contact Tom Kovacs if K/1, 2/3 classes will assist in seed starting and watering in the greenhouse before the Spring clean-up in early April.

Budget:

  • PTO budget seems stable. Requests made by Joe in MS to assist with $50-100 for sign making supplies for their trip to Washington, DC. Al requested the use of WNRAT funds of up to $6500 for the library shelves, and math dies for all grade levels. We are waiting to find out how much expense there is for medals and t-shirts from the (WNRAT) walk and run a thon money. It seems that most of the total requested by the school can be obtained within the funds raise by kids at the walk and run a thon in September.

Teacher Liaison Report– no report

School Board Report– see Al’s report above

HC Foundation Report– see Al’s report above

PTO Committee Reports:

  • Wellness: Julie De Jong reported. Tom Kovacs (tkovacs@emich.edu) will continue the edible garden program this year. He will be looking for help for planting, spring clean up, and caretaking. April 24th parent screening of webinar on “screen time on kids brains”, 6-8 pm in the cafeteria childcare will be provided. More information to come. Grace Kotre continues mindfulness training on k-1 and has been well received. Looking to expand next school year to other classes.
  • STEM: Sherry MacKay discussed linking fall festival and stem fair or talent night and stem fair to combine events. Sherry is organizing how to coordinate the care and use of the trebuchet with Bruce Worden in the future. Cheryl and Jon have given feedback about the benefit of Stem fair. Allison praised the STEM fair this year. Ilia expressed concerned that the STEM committee has had less participation and feels the STEM fair should continue. Less than 30 projects were submitted, most from K-1 and 4/5 levels. Still considering MS STEM club afterschool, not enough participants this year. Sherry suggested a need for a group of people to make event posters for all activities to help event organizers. Discussion of moving STEM fair within fall festival. Sherry will contact Wellness committee. Ann will provide assist as needed and send copy of fall festival documents to Sherry.
  • Arts: Eric Moore reported. Performers are set for Talent show March 24th, 5-8 pm. There will be 30 acts. Programs are being worked on, more sponsors are needed, and shout outs from parents are $5. Meal before the talent show will occur. $8 meal cost. Raises money for the 8th grade trip. Volunteers are still needed. Art show is also occurring during the talent night. Talent show person needed for next year as Eric will not be in the school. This is run as a MS life skills class to produce the show.
  • Literacy: No report.
  • Room Parents –Lara Thomas. Discussion of some classrooms getting together with parents and students to get to know them better. This may be a new way to get to know families if we do not do grade level potlucks next school year. Communicating the PTO needs through the room parents to help with recruitment of PTO positions.
  • Earth Day : Spirit of Alexandria grant won by STEM committee but the activity had to be rescheduled from the STEM fair. Topic: Birds of prey from the Howell Nature Center. Maybe this could be the earth day assembly? Sherry MacKay to contact Jody and/Catherine. Catherine Marquart with Jody Klein will coordinate earth day activities following a similar format from previous years. Earth day 4/21/17. Assistance will be needed.

Completed events:

2/24 STEM fair

Upcoming Events:

3/10 and 3/17 teacher potlucks

3/17-19 CPK fundraiser (see email)

3/24 Talent Show/ Art show/Dinner

4/21 Earth Day Celebration

No further business was brought forward. The meeting was adjourned at    10:05     am. Alison motioned and Mary seconded. The next meeting will occur April 14th at 8:30 am in the Pit.

Respectfully submitted,

Ann Kovacs

PTO Secretary

Leave a comment

Filed under Announcements, Minutes