HONEY CREEK’S OWN SCHOOL GARDEN!
Honey Creek’s Edible Garden is located near the large play structure on the Honey Creek playground. It is planted and maintained by school families for almost year-round enjoyment by our students. Previously we have grown such vegetables as kale, chard, carrots, snap-peas, tomatoes, beets, lettuce and spinach. In addition to our vegetables we have herbs such as basil, parsley and chives and flowers which include calendula and sunflower. The majority of the garden offerings have been grown for the sampling enjoyment of children as they play on the playground.
Benefits of a School Garden
1. Curriculum integration
2. Physical Activity
3. Cooperation and Community Development
4. School Beautification
5. Personal Development- Social Emotional
6. Nutrition Education and School Grown Food
7. Issues of Hunger
8. Artistic Expression
9. Wildlife and Habitat Restoration, Environmental Education
10. Promoting Local Agricultural and Healthy Food System
For more information or to be more involved, please contact Karen Hockley <email@example.com> or Marta England <firstname.lastname@example.org>.